Professional Scrum™ with User Experience (PSU) is a hands-on, activity-based course where students experience how Scrum and User Experience (UX) align and integrate to create cross-functional teams that connect more closely with end users and customers, ultimately delivering more value and improving outcomes. By working together in a dual-track agile process, members of the Scrum Team can work more effectively to balance discovery work and delivery work.
The course also includes a free attempt at the globally recognized Professional Scrum with User Experience I certification assessment (PSU I).
What you will learn
In this two-day class, students will leverage an ongoing case study as a way of applying techniques learned throughout the class and preparing to take what they learn back to their workplace. This course is designed for Product Owners and Scrum Masters to enable them to better incorporate design, research, and learning into their Scrum process.
Lean UX techniques focus the team toward customer-centric design and discovery. Scrum focuses the team toward rapid delivery and customer feedback. By bringing together Lean UX and Scrum, teams learn how to drive the design together with delivery in short, iterative cycles to assess what works best for the business and the user.
Leveraging Lean UX techniques, the course takes core design and research activities, illustrating how they come together with development and delivery. Attendees explore how these activities fit into a dual-track agile process (Design and Development) where cross-functional teams can work together to explore, experiment and deliver value-based outcomes.
This course was created together with Jeff Gothelf and Joshua Seiden, the authors of the book Lean UX, leveraging their expertise and knowledge. The goal of working together is to help students learn the truth about many of the myths that exist when it comes to bringing together design and development activities and how to overcome the challenges that come with this integrated team approach.
Course Learning objectives
- Understand how cross-functional Scrum Teams can include UX specialists
- Learn to account for, manage, prioritize, and include UX work in the Product Backlog
- Explore how to balance discovery and delivery within a Scrum Team
- Know how Scrum Teams create customer feedback loops within a Sprint
- Ensure customer insight is included in Scrum events and decision-making
- Communicate the Definition of “Done” in a world of continuous learning
- Scrum with UX enhances continuous learning
- Framing work as problems to solve
- Outcomes over outputs
- Managing UX work in Scrum
- Focus on users
Who should attend
- Scrum Masters and Product Owners will learn how to integrate the UX specialty with what they already know about the power of self-organizing cross-functional teams. This will enable them to help Developers to learn about the customer, plan learning/discovery/design work, and still deliver a “Done” increment each Sprint.
- In addition, Scrum Masters will learn how to incorporate product discovery techniques into Sprints and how to balance the product discovery work with the product delivery work while Product Owners will learn product discovery techniques that User Experience Designers use to better understand the needs of the user.
- UX Professionals struggling to integrate on a Scrum Team will learn how to work more effectively inside Scrum, managing work in Sprints and visualizing it in the Product Backlog.
- People who have learned about Lean UX and want to learn how to integrate those concepts into Professional Scrum working together in a unified Scrum Team.
- Expert tuition from Scrum.org Professional Scrum Trainers with years of real-world experience
- 2 attempts at the Scrum.org PSU I Assessment
- Free pre and post-course coaching to support continued learning toward the assessments
- Scrum.org courseware and further useful resources and links
- Once obtained, certifications never expire
Certification and assessments
All participants completing the Professional Scrum with User Experience course will receive a password to attempt the Professional Scrum with User Experience I (PSU I) certification assessment. PSU class participants who attempt the PSU I assessment within 14 days of the class and do not score at least 85% will be granted a 2nd attempt at no additional cost.
What our Students say..
No Renewal Costs
Professional Scrum certifications are yours for life with no renewal costs to retain them. Once you pass the assessment, you will retain that certification, you will be listed on the Scrum.org website and remain there forever with no additional future costs.
Group discounts are available.
Group booking discount for 3 or more will be automatically applied. If you have a group of 6 or more then a private booking might be more cost-effective. Please contact us or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org