Technical Excellence Training
b-agile have the expertise, and a proven record, in working with organisations and teams to establish technical excellence practices within them, to enable business agility and be more effective and sustainable in software product delivery.
“Agile movement was supposed to promote the ideals of Craftsmanship, and it failed. Horribly. Craftsmanship is the Agile, that the Agile movement left behind.” – Martin Fowler
- Agile transformations & adoptions tend to focus on process & collaboration. This only help teams to visualise their problems faster. It certainly won’t enable continuous sustainable agility to deliver business value.
- A lack of, or missing, focus on the agile manifesto principle – “Continuous attention to technical excellence and good design enhances agility.”
- A tendency to look for answers in technology and tools, yet the greatest impact on delivering quality software lies with people and professionalism backed with a reasonable level of experience.
- With the right focus on training and education, the right attitude and culture can flourish
- For organisation to succeed in achieving business agility, the way software is written & delivered has to be adapted too.
To help embed practices into your teams you need:-
- Both awareness of the practice but learning by deliberately doing!
- Mentor teams, and its individuals, to allow these to become standard practices.
- Have a strategic learning alignment across the team to enable the same focus, understanding, and vocabulary
We have a number of key in-depth learning topics delivered in different formats to help teams to become more quality focus and incorporate the complementary technical practices needed to iteratively create potentially releasable valuable product increments at a continuous and sustainable pace.
We can supply in-depth learning topics to teams, or to a group of individuals, in either 1 or 2-day sessions, or supply them through our Technical Agility Bootcamp programme to help them establish practices they need and want, and needed a little help to get started.
There is no one size fits all, so we work closely with you to deliver an approach that fits your needs.
Our delivery formats consist of:-
- Workshops: – Sessions provide theoretical and practical skills around defined topics like Software Craft, CI and Agile Testing.
- Coding Dojos: – Session based around a coding challenge, normally with a topic focus, where teams or programmers of different skills levels are invited to engage in deliberate practice as equals. For example, topics could be TDD or Clean Code principles.
- Practice: – Mentoring & coaching of development teams in their own environment to support them in application of learned practices. Pairing or mob programming session are some approaches.
- Introduction to Software Craft
- Test Driven Development
- Test doubles – Mocks vs Stubs
- Clean Code
- Continuous Integration/Delivery
- Branching Strategies
- Agile Testing
- Working with Legacy Code
- Clean Architecture equals testability
- Testing Strategies
- Domain Driven Design
- Independent Integration Testing
- Behaviour Driven Development
- Value Stream Mapping
- and more…
We do advise individuals, or teams, who are new to agile ways of working to first attend our Applying Professional Scrum for Software Development course. The reason is this course gives a great foundation to help Scrum Developer team members to get started. In the course through deliberate practice, you’ll get an understanding of Professional Scrum, the use of empiricism to enable continuous improvement and an introduction to some of the complementary practices that may help meet the challenge of creating a valuable “Done” increment at the end of every Sprint.
We’ve generally found attendees on the APS-SD course, afterwards reach out looking for a little help to either support them obtain a deeper understanding on topics or really begin to establish these practices into their teams (or organisation) that they’ve now discovered, discussed, or value.
If this interests you and like to see how we can help or simply like to know more then get in touch