Applying Professional Scrum (APS) is a hands-on, activity-based course in which students experience how Professional Scrum and the Scrum framework improve their ability to deliver value compared to traditional methods. Scrum provides a better way of working that highlights the use of experimentation, incremental delivery of customer value, frequent feedback loops and the fostering of strong team dynamics.
The course provides an active learning environment for students to engage in discussion, team-based exercises, and individual reflection. During the course, students work in Scrum Teams over a series of Sprints to learn Scrum while using Scrum.
What you will learn
Over the 2 days, students learn to apply Professional Scrum. They experience new, agile ways of working that enable teams to deliver more value, satisfy stakeholders and work better together. Students work together as a team in a series of Sprints to solve complex problems, facing similar challenges that they face outside of class and learning how to use Scrum to address them. These Sprints enable students to see the practical application of Scrum and to understand the value of an Agile mindset. Additionally, these Sprints expose common missteps and misunderstandings often seen while using Scrum, allowing students to develop an awareness of the associated symptoms and how to correct them. Students not only learn Scrum; they learn how to use Scrum well.
Who should attend
The Applying Professional Scrum course is the perfect introduction, reboot or refresher to Scrum. It is excellent training for organizations, teams, and individuals wanting to experience the benefits of Scrum, or for those interested in continuing their learning with more advanced training.
- Professionals who are part of a team that currently uses Scrum, but desire a refresher so that they get the most out of their use of Scrum.
- Professionals who are joining a team that currently uses Scrum.
- Professionals that don’t use Scrum directly but want to learn how to work with colleagues that do use Scrum.
- Professionals that are investigating to see if Scrum makes sense for them and their colleagues.
- Professionals that are part of an organization that intends to use Scrum in the near future.
- Teams who are learning to use Scrum together in their organizations
The course also provides the foundational Scrum knowledge needed for those wishing to continue their education with role-focused (Scrum Master, Product Owner, Developer, Leader) training classes. APS is not recommended for advanced Scrum professionals.
This course is designed to be domain-agnostic; it conveys the use of Scrum in any domain or industry with complex problems to solve. Trainers typically have experience in multiple industries and may be able to tailor the course to the needs of your team. Students and teams building software products may want to consider our domain-specific course: Applying Professional Scrum for Software Development.
- Learn about Agility and how Scrum differs from traditional plan-driven work models
- Develop an Agile mindset by focusing on professionalism, experimentation, and outcomes
- Learn (or relearn) the fundamentals of Scrum and how to apply them correctly
- Develop an understanding of what it is like to use Scrum and if it is right for your team
- Learn how to be a great Scrum Team member, or how to support a great Scrum Team
- Leave the class with ways to identify common pitfalls and how to avoid them
- Students use a set of proven practices throughout the class that can be used to enhance their application of Scrum
- Leave with tools that help Identify first steps in applying Professional Scrum with your team
- Fundamentals of Scrum
- The Scrum Framework
- Mastering Scrum
- Planning with Scrum
- Getting started
- Keeping Scrum healthy
- Certification and assessments
- Expert tuition from Scrum.org Professional Scrum Trainers with years of real-world experience
- 2 attempts at the Scrum.org PSM I Assessment
- 40% discount on the Scrum.org PSM II
- Free pre and post course coaching to support continued learning towards assessments
- Scrum.org courseware and further useful resources and links
- Once obtained, certifications never expire
Certification & Assessments
All participants completing the Applying Professional Scrum course will receive a password to attempt the Professional Scrum Master I (PSM I) assessment. The industry-recognised PSM I certification requires a minimum passing score of 85%. If you attempt the PSM I assessment within 14 days of the class and do not score at least 85%, you will be granted a 2nd attempt at no additional cost.
What our Students say..
No Renewal Costs
Professional Scrum certifications are yours for life with no renewal costs to retain them. Once you pass the assessment, you will retain that certification, you will be listed on the Scrum.org website and remain there forever with no additional future costs.
Group discounts available.
Group booking discount for 3 or more will be automatically applied. If you have a group of 6 or more then a private booking might be more cost-effective. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org